Industry’s challenges are our challenges. Our customers’ problems are our problems. As a researcher at Fraunhofer USA Center for Coatings and Diamond Technologies CCD you will solve real problems while pushing the state of the art. Whether simulating a complex environment, testing complex systems, analyzing the integrity of deployed technologies, or transforming prototypes into real-world applications, researchers at Fraunhofer USA CCD do more than just write publications and papers. They make a difference. Explore our available positions to begin your journey at Fraunhofer USA CCD.
Location: East Lansing, MI
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. located on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan, is seeking a highly motivated, reliable and technically competent individual to join our engineering team as a Lab Technician.
We offer an exciting work environment in an interdisciplinary team where every individual matters greatly to the success of the company.
This is a salaried position offering benefits including health and dental insurance, paid vacation, life insurance and pension plan.
The business core hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with an average working week of 40 hours.
Training will be provided; however, this position will require someone with the ability to absorb and understand technical skills, with preference given to candidates that can demonstrate this ability through experience or education.
• Support our engineering team in areas related to diamond polishing, sample cleaning (fume hood), and the use of analytical equipment to characterize process results (optical microscope, scales)
• High speed mechanical polishing of single crystal and polycrystalline diamond samples for a variety of research applications. Candidate must be detail oriented and strive to achieve the smoothest polishing results possible.
• Meticulous record keeping of process successes and failures in order to drive results-based process development
• Maintenance and conditioning of polishing machines and other laboratory equipment
• Technical and working knowledge of polishing and lapping equipment is strongly desired. Additional knowledge of crystalline structures and orientations is preferred.
• Prior experience in a research setting, or a working knowledge of materials science, tribology, crystallography, or mechanical engineering is preferred but not required.
• Candidate must have strong organizational skills in order to prioritize polishing tasks from several team members
• Candidate must be dependable and motivated to communicate and coordinate with the rest of the team.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) is required. Proficiency with CAD software (SolidWorks or AutoCAD) is strongly desired.
High school diploma required; additional vocational or academic education preferred.
Fraunhofer USA is an equal opportunity employer of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities and is a Federal Contractor.